Friday, April 13, 2007

OK, I've GOT to put my $.02 worth in .............................

Tamara, at View From the Porch, takes on the state of Illinois, and their "advice" for women's defense ......................... first question - Are the Illinois State Police smoking the stuff they're getting off the streets?

Illinois' Ideas for Women's Safety

When we returned from living in Mexico, my spousal unit almost immediately left for the assignment in the Czech Republic - I hied my {then} skinny butt to Academy, and found a moderately-priced pump-action Mossberg. I filled out the paperwork, and within 30 minutes, the background check was done, and I was on my way home with 'Ms.' Mossberg ....................... located a nearby range, and took the progeny out for a familiarization with it - she didn't care for the rather loud "boom", and asserted that, should the need arise, she preferred to use it as a club ..................... local news reports {home invasions are a common crime here} altered her resolve ........................

At one time, I was admittedly one of "those" people who didn't think I had need of a firearm ........................ then the progeny was born - and I began thinking in terms of protecting not only myself, but HER ......................... several law enforcement officers, in Pennsylvania and Virginia both, advised me against getting a weapon .................... I took their advice at the time .................... but now, I have Ms. Mossberg for home defense, and am looking to purchase a handgun and get my concealed-carry permit ..................... a friend up in Dallas has a NICE 9m semi-auto that fit my hand nicely - ideally, I would be able to try out several different pistols, and make my final choice on that basis .......................

A gentleman I am honored to call friend is a retired Lt. Colonel of Marines - one of his favorite sayings is : An unarmed populace are subjects; an armed populace are citizens ........................

1 comment:

chumly said...

Well I heard that some of the Coast Guard people did in the 70's, until they started the zero tolerance thing. Things do get better.