Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Just sent a complaint to Yahoo! .......................

Seems someone decided I needed an eMail directing me to F***Friends in your area QI62 ......................... their "message" is below ..................... I don't know about the rest of the world, but I am more than tired of 'dating sites', etc., ad nauseum .........................

Hey.

Want to find someone to sleep with who lives close by?
75% of our members already found a partner with this system...

And... it is completely free!


Granted, that eMail is more "honest" than most .................... but the glaring crudeness of their "appeal" leaves me cold ..................... I'm a former Marine - I can be crude as the next person - but I am selective about who I allow to witness it .................... I don't enjoy Stephen King's writing as much as I used to, because of the gratuitous use of profanity ........................ Dean Koontz was losing me for a while, because he was hitting the 'slippery slope' of profanity - but he seems to be recovering - Tom Clancy has fallen into the laziness trap, too; J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas has always been rather flamboyant in her language, but she's 50 years in the future ..................... ;)
I always liked the story of Sir Winston Churchill at some function, where he had .................... over-indulged in some spirits - some lady {Lady?} was haranguing him - and he turned to her & told her she was ugly - after some high dudgeon, she informed him he was drunk .................... and he responded, "Ah, yes - but I shall be sober in the morning."

2 comments:

Flo said...

I'm with you, Mair. I certainly speak less formally with family and friends. However, I watch my language when I'm with polite or "mixed" company. I would also take offense if someone I didn't know spoke to me like that.

In addition to books, I am disappointed in perfectly good movies that are ruined by overuse of foul language.

Then again, perhaps I've just discovered another personality--Miss Prude!

Diamond Mair said...

I'm thinking that, maybe, as we mature, we realize the truth that "words have meaning", and when one uses/overuses language that would cause some to ask "you kiss your mother with that mouth?", it cheapens every point one tries to make ..................