Friday, December 22, 2006

One Rough Diamond

OK, so I’m blogging – which is highly recommended for getting an InterNet business off the ground and spreading it’s wings.

Regarding the name of my blog: It's a nod to my nickname; for those unfamiliar with the story – I was working in a Naval hospital, as a transcriptionist/literature researcher in the Department of Anesthesiology. One of the CRNAs {Ceritified Registered Nurse Anesthetists} was TAD {Temporary Additional Duty, generally refers to duty at a different geographic location - in this case, he was in Haiti}, and needed a literature search done for an article he was writing. I got the info he needed PLUS, and got it to him in a very timely manner. His eMail acknowledging receipt referred to me as a "diamond in the rough" – I replied that a diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure.

Please feel free to visit the linked blogs/message boards – these folks are friends I’ve met while maneuvering the ‘Net.

Regarding business – if you live in/around, or visit Houston on a regular basis, you’re familiar with Jim “Mattress Mac” McIngvale, owner of Gallery Furniture here. I am here to tell you – this gentleman is the BEST! I called Gallery Furniture, to ask how to contact Mr. McIngvale – I wanted to ask him questions as to where and how to go about applying for start-up/seed money for my business, to get it off the ground – I was expecting a snailmail address, or at best, an eMail address – imagine my SHOCK when the lady on the switchboard connected me directly to Mr. McIngvale. Bear in mind, this is 21 December – the man is BUSY, with Christmas 4 days away. He sounded a bit harried to me {of course, this was my first time speaking with him}, but he took the time to share his knowledge with me ………………………… unless you’ve been in the position of ‘starting up’ your own business, you’ve no idea how much that means ………………………….. between “Mattress Mac’s” suggestions and the advice/suggestions I’m anticipating from ET, a USMC friend, I don’t see how I can lose!

MY business link is at the top - hey, it's what the mentors say to do ................. FWIW. ;)

No comments: