Sunday, February 25, 2007

OK, time for a rant ………………………..

Exactly WHEN did “gaining self-respect” devolve into putting down others?
In case you hadn’t noticed, in the gospel according to advertising/entertainment, men are: stupid, or insensitive, or arrogant with no reason ……………………… and if, in the equation of their skits, there are racial minorities represented, the white man is the one having the aforementioned “qualities” …………………… the CitiBank woodland cycling ad comes immediately to mind – a group of friends are cycling along, but one of them doesn’t have a bike – HE jumps off a rise, bellyflops in the leaves and claims “I’m good!” The Dr. Scholl’s ads for “gellin’” have a similar put down ……………………. on ANY sitcom, the male leads are idiots, with their wives/children/friends showcasing their ……………………. “limits” ………………………….
Mebbe I’m too much a product of the nuns – I was taught that achieving self-respect consisted of raising one’s self to the goal, whatever it may be – but today, with everything being of the lowest common denominator, it seems the only requirement is to denigrate others, preferably white men …………………. I’m NOT of the school that produced John Edwards’ recent blogmistresses – “the patriarchy” doesn’t send me into frenzies of fear or loathing {which is kind of ironic, given the one blogmistress’ assertion that she would continue to have sex, using contraception, without fear of bearing children – there’s a disconnect there, in that she will use men for sexual pleasure} – the ONLY “special treatment” I’ve demanded was the opportunity to TRY something – if I failed, so be it – but THAT is how I became the first woman in my field in the Marine Corps …………………………

4 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Preach on, sister! The white male middle class demographic needs all the defending it can get!

DW said...

And how about the male bashing channel, sorry WE. All the guys are abusive gay child molestors on drugs, with a mistress. How do they keep it all straight?

Gay_Cynic said...

Strangely enough, the spirit took me on a not dissimilar rant last night :) Came at it more from the view that anything OTHER than "warm, breathing, competent, non-hostile" being irrelevant to the task at hand..which'd horrify some I find myself working with. Your take was more tightly written I think :)

Memphis said...

I'm with you 100 percent. I've blogged about the way the marketing people slam white males in almost every commercial, too. I've also written to the companies doing it, but they don't care. They have an agenda that has nothing to do with business. The TV networks and many movie makers have joined the church of "smash the patriarchy" too, using white males as their punching bags. Think about this, when was the last time you saw an TV show with a female or black villain? They don't even try to make it a mystery who the killer is anymore. You just look at the white males and pick one. It won't be anyone else.