Friday, January 6, 2012

Today started off badly ...............................

some neighbors moved out before Christmas, left their dog {~ 2 year old, Yorkie/Silky mix} behind, tied up; I'd seen him wandering the neighborhood, so someone set him free, so he could hopefully find something to eat/drink {cat food I put out for the strays} - this morning, he's laying in a patch of sunshine, at his "home", gets up when I approach - right hind leg is dangling {skin intact, but bones turned to mush, probably hit by a car} - I enticed him close enough to lay hands on with the FodGuy's's last hamburger - brought him in & the FodGuy palpated the leg - the dog NEVER EVEN GROWLED, much less bit - WE are just in no position financially to go the distance for his orthopod work {minimum of possibly setting the leg, & the resulting care/rehab, up to & including amputation}, so I gritted my teeth & took him to the shelter - when I told Animal Control his story, they immediately took us over to the surgery, where he was put in a kennel to await a local rescue organization, which will foot the bill for his surgery {-ies} & then find him a forever home.  I was in tears on the way to the shelter, 'cause I was certain I was taking him to be euthanized; I was petting him as I was driving, and he'd just look at me with these soft brown eyes, very patient with everything I did with/to him.    I've been involved in humane work for 41 years, and this kind of ignorance/apathy/indifference NEVER gets easier to accept.

Now, his "owners" {may they rot in hell!!} got him as a puppy, for an animated toy for their 3 little monsters - several times, when he was no bigger than a kitten, I had to rescue him, because they had him tied on their front porch, and he'd fall off the steps & hang there by his neck.  They ultimately moved him from near the front door, and basically ignored his existence.  The rescue is going to have to socialize him, because all he expects from humans is apathy or cruelty - his gentleness and patience with me were absolutely amazing, considering what he's known from humans.  The veterinary nurse was amazed that he had never snapped/bit at me, after I told her the history.  St. Francis of Assisi was truly smiling on my efforts today .........................................  

I let it be known, to anyone who may still be in contact with the "owners" that I had better NEVER see them again ........................







.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

But you did the 'right' and humane thing, and it looks like it WILL work out for the better for the dog. YOU did that, not anyone else, thank you...

Gecko said...

I hate people being cruel to any animal, unfortunately there's no price t pay when they do!! I'm pleased to hear the animal shelter will look after him, it's nice to know they're not going to put him down.
We're in the process of feeding the neighbours poor cats, since we moved in we've seen them get skinnier by the day. It's interesting to see them now putting cat food out in a dish and hearing them call the cats, after they saw the cats come running up to us when we went outside ... they had better not make any comments to us about it !!!!!!!!

Diamond Mair said...

Old NFO - when it comes to animals, yeah, I've been told I seem as though I'd go through the gates of Hell, especially domesticateds - "WE" {humans} have made them dependent on US - to betray that trust is sickening .................

Gecko, I was feeding the farm animals at a place we were living for a bit, because the owner was a 'get up at the crack of noon' type; when he realized the animals were bonding with me, HE decided he didn't need me feeding them .................... he's changed a lot, become a much better man .................... ;-)

Semper Fi'
DM