Thursday, July 1, 2010

This is a re-post of one of my earliers ................................

since today is the 11th anniversary of my sending out all those postcards ............................. ;-)


My spousal unit & I first met back in 1977, in Memphis - he was just coming off the San Diego drill field as a DI, I was a newly-minted Pvt. from Parris Island .................. he fulfilled my need for a friend who I could ask "guy questions" of - {"why do guys .................?"} - he became known as my big brother - we had a semi-platonic relationship {we kissed & cuddled, but no sex} - when I was done with school there in Memphis, I was transferred to Cherry Point - he was heading back to New River, so he gave me a ride - we get to Cherry Point, and it's overwhelming - it's a HUGE base - he recommends I put in for New River {I think he was concerned about the trouble I could get myself in, on my own at the Pit} - I go on down there - get assigned to my squadron {HMH-362, the Ugly Angels, for those who are interested} - one fine day, I'm hanging out in my shop {Avionics} and HE walks in to check on me - he stands there, typical DI position, hands on hips - I immediately notice - HE HAS ROCKERS! He had just made Staff Sergeant {this is a BIG deal, for those unfamiliar} - I jump up & throw my arms around his neck, congratulating him ........................... we chitchatted for a bit, then he went back to his squadron .......................... my co-workers {I was the ONLY woman in the squadron at the time} were quizzing me as to who he was ....................... nonchalantly told them, he's my big brother ..................... could never figure out why I wasn't asked out on dates after that .......................... ;-) Ya gotta understand - he's 6'2" - at the time, he was about 215# - ALL muscle - had the broadest shoulders, tiniest waist & hips I'd EVER seen ..........................
ANYhoo, we lost touch for about 21 years ...................... on 1 July 1999, I sent out 19 postcards, to every Mike L******** who's snailmail I could find on the 'Net - reason I sent postcards, if he was married/involved, I didn't want to cause problems for him - on 6 July {coincidentally, my parents' 45th wedding anniversary}, got a call - soon as I heard his voice, I KNEW it was him - came down to Houston for a 4 day visit at the end of July - the night I returned to PA, he told me he loved me - 10 days later, he proposed {he still gets a chuckle from my speechlessness then} - I moved down in September, we were married the end of November {the Friday after Thanksgiving - to him, THAT's our anniversary! ;-)} moved to Mexico the following May ............................. that's where "Before we got back in touch" comes in ....................... ;-)


.


.
Also, just for S & G's, let's see if I can successfully "embiggen" a couple of photos .......................

Dawn and Mary
.
Our Progeny & me 6 July 2002, Monterrey
.


.
Dawn, Super Fod, Diamond Mair and Pancho
.
Our Progeny, my Spousal Unit, me & our Progeny's boyfriend, 8 December 2001, Monterrey
.


.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nice! Good story and a good ending!

Diamond Mair said...

Thank you ................... ;-)

Semper Fi'
DM

Gecko said...

Great story DM, love it! Same goes for the pics, a lovely family shot.
Happy Independence Day to you all from "Down Under"

Diamond Mair said...

Thank you for your kind ccmments and good wishes for America's birthday - "we're" a little shopworn @ the moment, but Americans are nothing if not resilient! ;-)

Semper Fi'
DM