Friday, December 12, 2008

I had started avoiding WalMart for our day-to-day needs .............................

I can get cat food for less @ Sam's Club or Costco, OUR needs can be met at either the local independent grocery {spousal unit prefers their meats}, or the absolutely fabulous HEB in Kingwood - but, our prescriptions have been filled at WalMart for 6+ years now, so, when I needed to drop one off yesterday, I decided to check the cookie aisle & end caps, for Archway's Cashew Nougat cookies.

Now, LAST year, they were on the shelf before Thanksgiving; when I saw them then, I grabbed a pack - when I got to the checkout, the cashier couldn't get it to scan, so according to HER, they weren't in the computer, so she refused to sell them to me ....................... fast forward to yesterday - NO Archway Christmas cookies at all on the shelves - I went to one of the store managers & told him that his bean-counters were idiots & why {WalMart has a reputation for cancelling orders of products that don't produce a high volume of sales} - HE referred me to his grocery manager - I explained to her what I was looking for, etc., etc. - she realized then that she hadn't received ANY Archway Christmas products, so would be calling her reps ................ now, the REASON for my worrying about something as ultimately inconsequential as cookies - my Dad LOVED the cashew nougats - even after he was diagnosed with diabetes, he'd still indulge in them, and Breyer's Butter Pecan ice cream, in a serving bowl, "schmeared" with Hershey's syrup & Jif peanut butter - I just can't get into the ice cream/Hershey's/peanut butter routine too often - but I CAN {WHEN I can find the da## things!} enjoy Archway's Cashew Nougat cookies, and feel closer to my Dad for a bit .................... the grocery manager allowed as how HER Dad's favorite gnosh was cornbread soaked in milk; every once in while, she'll have some cornbread {even though she doesn't LIKE it too much}, and think of her Dad .....................


.

No comments: