Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm somewhat of an Anglophile ...........................

half of my heritage is from the UK; the other half is what used to be called "mittel-Europa", so I read British authors as well as American .................... one of the funniest terms I've come across has been 'quango' - Wikipedia defines it as Quango or qango is an acronym (variously spelt out as QUAsi Non-Governmental Organization, QUasi-Autonomous Non-Governmental Organization, and QUasi-Autonomous National Government Organization) used notably in the United Kingdom but also in Australia, Ireland and elsewhere to label colloquially an organization to which government has devolved power. Lack of clarity over its meaning may have contributed to a decline somewhat in its use. The acronym can carry with it an implication of poor management and lack of accountability.

Just SAY the word aloud - it sounds like a dyspeptic waterfowl .................. now, WHY that tickles my funny bone, I can't explain - I understand it is NOT a laughing matter to those who come under quangos' less than beneficent rules - about the closest parallel I can come up with are our vaunted 'community organizers', funded by Uncle Sam, and running around like firefighters with no fires to put out. But, I'm afraid that, should someone decide "we" need quangos, & their representatives introduce themselves as representatives of "our local quango", I'll be hard-pressed to NOT laugh in their faces ....................... ;-)

On to other matters - just as a straw poll, to all & sundry who might read this: HOW MANY times would someone have to studiously ignore you before you would get the idea that they don't like you? We have a neighbor I've mentioned before, for whom there is no milk of human kindness in me, and this IS a small town, with limited locations for local shopping. HOWEVER, even with the paucity of choices, I have been subjected to this individual 3 times recently. Once, the FodGuy was with me, the neighbor was with his nephew, we were all standing in line at a convenience store. The neighbor notices the FG, and announces so the entire store can hear, "Watch out for this guy, he can kick your a$$." THEN, the idiot notices me, and announces to all present that "And his wife here is even WORSE." Fine, if I have a rep for a$$-kicking, so be it.

Couple of weeks later, I ran out to the little grocery store here; yep, idiot is there, only he's special - HE doesn't have to park in a parking space {not even a handicapped space} - no, he parks HIS vehicle directly in front of the store. I'm trying to get in & out quickly - no such luck, he sees me & gets in line behind me. Attempts conversation several times - finally, after I've paid & am on my way out, I look around & did the 'oh, didn't see you' routine. Couple of days ago, again at our local grocery, he's already in line, so I go to another checkout - he's YELLING over the display cases at me ........................ I am about at the point of telling him, in front of God & everybody, that I DON'T like him, there is NO HOPE of my EVER liking him, he is a thug to his wife, and a bloviating layabout who spends whatever monies they have on gambling, while they're having vehicles repossessed, awaiting foreclosure/eviction, and if he was on fire, I wouldn't cross the road to pi$$ on him ...................... do ya THINK that would get him to leave me alone? When I came home from the latest incident, I asked the FodGuy - HOW many times, as a man with SOME degree of self-respect, would you attempt to talk to someone who was obviously ignoring you? FG says about twice. That's MY attitude, but maybe we're just a couple of stiff-necked Marines ............................

One of the kittens of the latest clutch died last night - B-Butt had been ill, and had some congenital issues like their Mom, but apparently it was more of a problem for B-Butt - s/he was a sweet, loving little kitten, and will be missed ................



.

No comments: