Sunday, October 26, 2008

I make chicken salad throughout the year ................................


but mid-autumn is my specialite de la maison - when pomegranates are available - I know lots of folks will put grapes in their chicken salad, but a few years back, I added pomegranates on a whim - it provides a nice 'zing' to the standard chicken salad ......................


Diamond Mair's chicken salad

Chicken breasts
Chicken base/boullion {just tried Orrington Farms - GOOD base}
Celery seed {I LOVE the flavor of celery, but don't care for how the stalks "cook up" - celery seed provides the flavor}
Sweet basil {optional}
Onion, cut
Garlic, minced
Water to cover

Put in crockpot/slow cooker, use minimum of 6 hours' cook time. Allow chicken/broth to chill in refrigerator.

Pomegranate
Celery
Onion
Bell pepper {optional}
Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise {dealer's choice}

Remove fruit from pomegranate. Chop celery, onion, bell pepper, combine with pomegranate. Add chicken {I break it apart with my hands, others may prefer to run it through a food processor}. Add Miracle Whip or Mayo to taste, mix well.

Can be served on a bed of lettuce, in sandwiches, however you prefer.

Note: All seasonings are to individual tastes - I like LOTS of celery flavor, so I add a LOT of celery seed.



.

No comments: